httpd-users mailing list archives

From buz <...@zis.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Problems with CustomLog in Apache 2
Date Thu, 29 May 2003 19:47:01 GMT

I'm running the latest RH 9.0 Apache which is 2.0.40

I create a CustomLog entry in the global section of the configuration
file
(there are no log entries in the VirtualHost configurations):

CustomLog "|/bin/gzip -c  >> /var/log/access.log.gz" common

The file is never created.  In Apache on my test server the Scoreboard
shows all processes in wait-state and progressively more and more
processes as web activity comes in.  Nothing ever finishes and I
eventually restart Apache.

If I try the same CustomLog in Apache 1.3.26 it does exactly what I
expect.

Am I missing some new feature?  Or is this just a bug?
It seems that using piped access logs should be so common that this
would have been quickly caught if it is a bug; but I can't see anything
else.

BUZ