httpd-users mailing list archives

From sjm <...@porter.acadaff.appstate.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Nesting the Files section in httpd.conf
Date Tue, 13 May 2003 14:52:54 GMT
Apache starts fine.  I restart it everytime I change httpd.conf, and then check
the error log.  I then type in the URL and the page displays with no
authorization.  The error log doesn't mention not being able to find the
.htpasswd file or anything.  I do not have it nested within an <IfModule ...>
directive.  I don't think you're being patronizing.  I have only been using
apache for a year, and am still very much in the learning process.

-Thanks again,
Steve

William Wilson wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 May 2003 14:58, sjm wrote:
>

>>"...Note that <Files> can be nested inside <Directory> sections to restrict
>>the portion of the filesystem they apply to."
>>
>>	-- http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#files
>

> Yep, Zac just pointed this out. You're both quite right. It does appear that
> they're nestable. I've never used them that way, hence my original reply. And
> if it was nested inside the directory you think it would resolve against the
> directory path, as the doc suggest.
>

>>I am now using this:
>>
>><Directory /var/www/html/sitename/maint/users/>
>>     AllowOverride AuthConfig
>></Directory>
>>
>><Files /var/www/html/sitename/maint/users/protected.file>
>>     AuthType Basic
>>     AuthName "Protected File"
>>     AuthUserFile /path/to/.htpasswd
>>     Require user user_name
>></Files>
>>
>>and it doesn't work either.
>

> Forgive me if I'm being patronising; do you have the above enclosed in an
> <IfModule ...> directive? And when you say it doesn't work, does apache start
> OK with no complaints but just not respond in the manner you expect?
>

> Will
>

> - --
> Will Wilson
>
> Applied Generics Ltd