httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael <mgord...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] New User
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 14:43:58 GMT
On 5/6/03 10:06 AM, Michael:

> Good Morning,
>
> I have just finished installing Apache for Windows 98 SE and I am
> trying to make it work as an internal server. By this, I mean there
> will be no Apache connection to the Internet; it will be used
> exclusively for internal web site testing of SSI and PHP scripting.
>
> I followed the install instructions leaving the default settings as
> they were, made the required modifications to the httpd.conf file, and
> tried to start Apache. Nothing happens, there is no indication that
> Apache is running. The Apache system status window appears on the
> desktop when the Apache icon in the system task bar is clicked, but
> the Apache system status windows are empty of any content.
>
> Using the instructions to manually start Apache results in a MSDOS
> black window blank of any content.
>
> Now I am lost in the land of the Apache. Either I have missed
> something during the install, or I have incorrectly configured Apache,
> or I dont know where to start Apache correctly.
>
> I recognize I have one limiting factor in my experience with servers,
> I may be confusing some Unix/Linux, MS Windows, and Apache command
> syntax in attempting to get Apache to serve internal web pages.
>
> Is there anyone who could take the time and effort to walk me through
> the process of getting Apache to start and serve web pages on this
> stand alone PC?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael Gordon

Well gentlemen I must say goodbye, my post has gone un-answered, I am
unable to get Apache to respond, and I have run out of time trying to
make it work as an internal server for testing cgi, perl, and SSI
applications.

I have read, reread, and reread again the documentation on your web site
and I still do not understand how to make Apache serve my internal web
pages.

Good luck to all of you who do understand this valuable tool.

Sincerely,

Michael Gordon

--
Character is doing the right thing...