httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Daniel R. Blair" <joeca...@realcoders.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Webalizer - lots of unresolved/unknown countries
Date Wed, 28 May 2003 00:14:53 GMT
On Tue, 27 May 2003, Robert wrote:

> I hope this is an appropriate posting - can't think of any more appropriate
> group!
>
> I have recently set up (with much difficulty) Webalizer with DNS lookups to
> list countries.  There seem to be a lot of users from unknown/unresolved
> countries (99% approx).  Where do these come from and is there some way that
> they could either be resolved or ignored?

In your apache config, you set to resolve or not upon logging each request
(resolving takes an extra second or so.. depending on network/internet
conditions at the time) so, for large numbers of hits per day/second/hour,
you may choose NOT to resolve them.. but, otherwise, you won't notice a
big difference per hit served..

I use webalizer though, and I believe it has an option to resovle
unresolved IPs on it's own.. so, even it apache doesn't log the resolved
IP, Webalizer itself will resolve the IP it finds (but ours took HOURS on
our 1gb+ log file due to the time needed to resolve THAT MANY ips)

Don't know if that helps, but, hopefully it will...

Now, keep in mind, some ips WON'T be able to be resolved, so, expect SOME
unknowns.. and you may need to force webalizer to re-analyze everything
from the start because it keeps track of where it left off for effeciency
so it doesn't analyze everything all the time.. meaning that if you ran it
at first to make sure it was working, without having it resolve IPs.. then
the next time, once you've changed your command line params/config file,
it will not re-do the already done/analyzed entries, only the new
entries.. leaving you with the majority of the entries UN-RESOLVED..

Good luck,

Danny

                           = Daniel Blair =