httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael Barrett <m...@daboyz.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] ErrorLog/CustomLog/Piped Commands Q
Date Fri, 23 May 2003 06:49:45 GMT
On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 02:42:55PM -0400, na11@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

> >Does anyone know why?
>
> Do both process have the same parent PID? I've noticed that with a perl
> shell in the pipe there is one process that is the shell executing the perl
> script who's parent is httpd and one process that is the actual perl binary
> who's parent is the shell. Follow that? :) It looks like this:
>
> ? ? root 25983 25982 25982 25982 ?0 16:02:10 ? ? ? ? ?0:00 /bin/sh
> -c ?/usr/local/apache/bin/siphon.pl --file /tmp/access --time 3AM
> ? ? root 25984 25983 25982 25982 ?1 16:02:10 ? ? ? ? ?0:00 /usr/bin/perl
> /usr/local/apache/bin/siphon.pl --file /tmp/access --time 3AM

    I see what you're saying, and yes, I've noticed this too.  However, thats not what I'm
really talking about.  When I say I see 3 python processes, I really mean I see 3 python processes.
 I see the shell process too though, one for each.

    Try using a pipe in the ErrorLog statement.  It seems to act differently than in the CustomLog
statement- differently in the way that I described, and I really don't understand why.

> >Should I worry about file locking type issues? ?If the script is writting
> to a logfile, >won't >this cause problems if both instances of the error
> script try to write to that file at the same time? ?It >doesn't >seem to be
> happening ever, but I really don't know what that second script is doing at
> all.
>
> I think this would all depend on how the script was written.

    All the script really does is start writing to the log file anything sent to stdin.  From
the looks of it, this isn't a problem- at least, I haven't seen double entries in the logfile.
 Perhaps one is started, but nothing is ever sent to it.  It's hard to say though.

    Anyways, thanks for you response.  I'll be messing with it some more to see if I can figure
anything out.  In the meantime, if anyone else has any insight- I'm all ears.

                Mike Barrett | Calvin: "May Contain Adult Situations?"  What
             mike@daboyz.org |          does that mean?
              www.daboyz.org | Hobbes: Oh, you know.  Paying bills.  Going