httpd-users mailing list archives

From Paul Simon <wreckmyb...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] how to install mod_ssl
Date Wed, 21 May 2003 14:44:08 GMT
I'm going to throw in my 2 cents for what it's worth.
I built Apache 2.0.45 with SSL by using the following
config:

./configure --enable-rewrite --enable-ssl
--enable-proxy --enable-so --with-mpm=prefork

You'll need openssl on your system like Bill says. If
it's in your path then Apache2 will be smart enough to
reference the openssl files it needs. Simply type
'openssl -h' (without the quotes) at your command
prompt to see if it's there. If not, you'll have to
deal with that first. If it's there then you don't
have to worry about openssl.

You can see that ssl comes with the apache2 source
code, under modules/ssl in the Apache2 source
directory. Just build Apache2 appropriately.

Redhat probably has some all in one rpm that can do
this for you. But I can't stand those package managers
for some reason...

Good Luck

--- Eric <nyre@kiercorp.com> wrote:
> why do you configure openssl if you don't use ssl?
>
> The modssl site just seems to talk about apach
> 1.3.27
> what are the steps, are they the same from 1.3 vs
> 2.x
>

> > > I may (am) confused.  If I have apache2, with
> built in ssl, what do I
> > > need
> > > to do to install and enable openssl.  its
> installed by redhat but I am
> > > not
> > > getting it enabled?
> > > can you give a config example to enable openssl
> on rh8.
> >

> > This is how I built Apache 2.0, but I do not use
> SSL, I have no need
> > for it.
> >
> > First I installed the latest OpenSSL.
> >
> > Next I installed Apache 2.0 -
> >
> > ../configure \
> > --verbose --with-layout=Apache
> --prefix=/usr/local/apache2 \
> > --enable-module=most --enable-shared=max
> --enable-module=so \
> > --enable-cache --enable-disk-cache
> --enable-mem-cache \
> > --enable-case-filter --enable-case-filter-in
> --enable-logio \
> > --enable-mime-magic --enable-cern-meta
> --enable-expires \
> > --enable-headers --enable-usertrack
> --enable-unique-id \
> > --enable-proxy --enable-proxy-connect
> --enable-proxy-ftp \
> > --enable-proxy-http --enable-ssl
> --enable-static-support \
> > --enable-static-htpasswd --enable-static-htdigest
> \
> > --enable-static-rotatelogs
> --enable-static-logresolve \
> > --enable-static-htdbm --enable-static-ab
> --enable-static-checkgid \
> > --enable-http --enable-dav --enable-info
> --enable-cgi --enable-cgid \
> > --enable-dav-fs --enable-vhost-alias
> --enable-speling \
> > --disable-userdir --enable-rewrite
> >

> > You will note that SSL is built, but not enabled.
> To finish it you
> > must follow the steps at the modssl site.
> >
> > Is there not a RPM that will do all these steps
> for you?  I don't know
> > what RPMs RedHat provides, I do everything by hand
> as I use Solaris 9
> > Ultrasparc at home.  I do know that Debian 3.0
> UltraPenguin has all the
> > correct RPMs -- therefore it would stand top
> reason that RedHat has the
> > correct RPMs as well - you will just have to find
> them.
> >

> > HTH/Bill
> >
> > (I don't do Windows, ergo, I don't do Intel
> systems.)
> >
> > http://insecurity.org/
> > _Sx____________________
> >   ('>    iudicium ferat
> >   //\   Have Computer -
> >   v_/_    Will Hack...
> >
> >                \|/ ____ \|/
> >                "@'/ .. \`@"
> >                /_| \__/ |_\
> >                   \__U_/

> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> users-help@httpd.apache.org

> [...]

=====
=====
'Ideals are like stars. We may never reach them, but we use them to chart our course.' --
Unknown
=====
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" --
Ralph Waldo Emerson.
=====