httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Redirecting requests, proxy.pac file
Date Wed, 21 May 2003 00:33:11 GMT
Hi Marc,

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 06:12:25PM +0200, Marc Dreher wrote:
> We want to show an html error messages when peoples browsers fetch the old
> proxy.pac file, stating that the server is outdated and that they should
> correct their proxy configuration settings.

The short answer is that you cannot.  Although it is being fetched by HTTP,
the client expects to receieve a javascript file that it can use to figure
out the appropriate proxies.  How the browser handles unexpected input is
entirely up to it - but in my experience, most will either fail silently or
give a not-entirely-obvious error message.

One way to solve the problem would be to update the proxy.pac on the old
server to point to a webserver that returns your custom error page instead
of proxying requests.  The effect of this would be that the user could no
longer surf to anything using a proxy until they pointed to the new
proxy.pac and reloaded.

Cheers,

Zac