httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jacob S. <stormspot...@6texans.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Is my server an open proxy?
Date Thu, 15 May 2003 15:20:09 GMT
In my access logs for this month, as displayed by awstats, it's showing
6 hits to various sites such as yahoo.com, intel.com and gnu.com. I'm
obviously not hosting any of those sites and I don't have any kind of
links to them from my site. Each hit is reported as being 397 bytes
(yes, bytes, not kb).

I've been told these hits mean someone's using my Apache as a proxy, but
I don't have mod_proxy installed. Is there another exploit I need to
watch out for, or is the fact that each hit is only 397 bytes indicating
that it's a failed attempt to use my server as a proxy? I've read the
Apache documentation about proxys, but I want to make sure there's not
something I'm missing.

TIA,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

In a world without fences, who needs Gates?
http://www.linux.org/