httpd-users mailing list archives

From asa...@phoenixbox.org
Subject [users@httpd] vhost logging stops, apache 1.3.27
Date Sun, 04 May 2003 19:02:26 GMT
Hello all,
   I'm having a problem with the logfiles on one of my servers.  It is a Redhat
7.3 system running apache 1.3.27 installed from source-rpm with front page,
suexec, mm, mod_ssl, php, perl, mysql, apxs.patch, mkstemp.patch, redhat.patch,
apachectl-init.patch, sslsup.patch, dbmdb.patch, db.patch, fp-apache.patch,
and sp-suexec-apache.patch applied.  The httpd server builds cleanly and runs
without any issues except for logging.  All of my virtualhosts (and I have
several on this server) will log for what seems an arbitrary amount of time and
then simply stop.  I do not have this problem on any of the other servers in my
domain.  (there are 9 at the moment, ranging from redhat 7.1-7.2 with nearly
identical setups.) I have tried sending different kill signals(gleaned from
other postings) to httpd and had no results from that.  I can even kill the
process outright, then restart httpd, and the logging will still not resume.  In
order for me to get the logfiles to take any more data, I have to manually do
an:

echo >> /var/log/httpd/username/hit_log

Once that is done, the file will continue to take data, and add new entries.
None of the other vhost logs will be working until I go to each of them and do
the same.  Eventually, it will stop again.  I've tried a few things, and had
no luck. I've tried turning off all cron jobs to see if that was affecting them,
and that wasn't it.  I'm not using logrotate at all, so that can't be it.  I
have just totally removed the httpd server and all it's supporting files, and
reinstalled again from source.  No luck.

I am getting desperate for a solution here, this is a production server, and the
customers are starting to ask questions. Some of them are planning to use the
logging facility to track hits for advertising money and so on.  So you can see
this is a fairly important issue. I would really appreciate any suggestions that
can be thrown my way.

Thanks...

Charles

--
For a copy of my public key, send an email to keys@phoenixbox.org with "send pgp
key" in the subject.

Death:  Life's way of saying "You can let go of your ankles now..."