httpd-users mailing list archives

From WC -Sx- Jones <li...@insecurity.org>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Extended example of httpd.conf
Date Mon, 19 May 2003 06:56:42 GMT
[ I have to take this back to the list as I
   do not know whether XP SP1 breaks Apache 2.0 ]

About a dynamic IP --
Well, I have a PPPoE Dynamic IP Address as well; you can get a free
DynDNS referrer at

http://dyndns.org/

It is how I host insecurity.org from my home office  =)  I purchased a
LinkSys Cable/DSL Wireless Router which has a 4-port HUB on it; it
talks PPPoE to my ISP and allows my NAT (network address translation)
internal private network to "see" the Internet and be "seen" by the
Internet.

About security patches --
YOU SHOULD ALWAYS KEEP YOUR SYSTEM PATCHED  :)

Studying and knowing about your system, and it's systems administration
issues, is a great step toward getting something like Apache 2.0 for
Windows working -- plus it keeps the "bad guys" out of your server.
Good systems administration skills beats firewalls and disaster
planning (which are themselves important, but useless if not backed up
by good SysAdmin work.)

I know, you are prolly thinking why would I need to do these things at
home?  Well, what you do at home will be carried as a habit to work.
Better to keep practicing the right things all the time.

HTH/Bill  :)