httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Thomas Strike" <stri...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Unable to start Apache 2.0.45 without internet connection
Date Fri, 16 May 2003 18:56:07 GMT
Here is my train of thaught that may help in troubleshooting your problem.

From: <dav.hamilton@comcast.net>

> With Apache 2.0.45 for Windows 98, if I try to use Apache without an
> internet connection, I receive the following message and Apache fails to
> start:
> Unable to open logs

Take this error message litterally.
Apache2 can't find any available routes to bind to on port 80.

> This is with the settings:
> #Listen 80 - Listen disabled
> ServerName localhost

I believe that without the listen statement set in the config file,
the default is that Apache listens to all available IP connections on port
80.
The same as "Listen 80"

> If I try ServerName localhost:80 it gives the same result, and if I try
> Listen 80, or Listen localhost:80, or Listen 127.0.0.1:80, I receive the
> following error and Apache fails to start:
> [Fri May 16 06:21:48 2003] [crit] (OS 10038)Socket operation on
non-socket:
> make_sock: for address 127.0.0.1:80, apr_socket_opt_set: (SO_KEEPALIVE) no
> listening sockets available, shutting down
> Unable to open logs

SEE BELOW

> With Apache 2.0, can you use it without an internet connection?
> I've searched the web, the manual, all of the suggested bugtraq searches,
> but I'm still not able to figure out what I'm doing wrong
> and can't find anyone else who has mentioned this problem.

Apache2 seems not to be able to find an available port 80 on any
active IP addresses that is specified in the config file.  Therefore.
I would turn to the Networking configuration in Win98.  It may be
that Network routes in Win98 are not present when there are
no active network devices on line.  But then, Why can you ping
the localhost and Apache2 can't find it: Unless you happened to
be connected through Dialup Networking at the time.

First, I would try "route print" in a DOS window to see if in fact the
localhost route is present in your machine while you are off line.

Network Address     Network      Gateway     Interface    Metric
             127.0.0.0   255.0.0.0     127.0.0.1   127.0.0.1            1

The other probability is that some program in your system has
already glombed onto port 80 on your LocalHost address such
as your last install of Apache still being active.

Cheers,
Tom S.
http://www.SleepyValley.net/me