httpd-users mailing list archives

From "David Wilson" <davidwwil...@attbi.com>
Subject [users@httpd] file::// question
Date Thu, 29 May 2003 22:51:19 GMT
I am working with Apache and IE6 on WinXP.

I have an HTML file with an embedded form that invokes a CGI script.
If I access this file via the browser address

http://localhost/file.htm

submitting the form properly invokes the CGI script and displays the
result in the browser window.

If instead, I use the folder window to navigate to file.htm, and click
the file.htm icon, the browser pops up with the address

c:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\file.htm

the page displays properly, but submitting the form causes the browser
window to go blank.  The address window does not change, and the
CGI script never gets invoked.

I understand that the above address gets translated to

file:///C:/Program%20Files/Apache%20Group/Apache2/htdocs/file.htm

and accessed via the FILE protocol, not the HTTP protocol, and thereby
bypasses Apache.  Is it possible/desirable to configure things so that
files in the htdocs directory get invoked with the http://localhost/ prefix?
This is just a curiosity and convenience issue for me.

I don't know if this is an Apache issue per se, since I imagine the
changes would be made to the FILE protocol config, not the Apache
server, but it seems closely related so I'm taking a chance.