httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Beau Hebert" <bheb...@c-quential.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite help
Date Wed, 21 May 2003 19:14:55 GMT
Thanks James. That Cond/Rule works nicely. I think the ultimate problem
is that I am unable to have this Rewrite happen prior to the SSL
handshake. Thus, my annoying little friend 'Security Alert' still rears
its ugly head. I'm not even sure if it would be possible to accomplish
the task of Rewriting prior to the Handshake. Any ideas?

Thanks again for the assistance.

Beau

-----Original Message-----
From: j.knowling@mgn.co.uk [mailto:j.knowling@mgn.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 2:16 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org; Beau Hebert
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite help

You could try something like:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond   %{HTTP_HOST}    !^www\.mydomain\.com$
RewriteRule    ^(.*)$                     https://www.mydomain.com$1 [R]

so if there was any other hostname mapping to the virtualhost you'll
redirect those too.  I don't know if you should be saying R=301 for a
permanent redirect too maybe - not sure if it actually makes any
difference.  And maybe an L to indicate it is the last redirect rule to
run
:-)?

James.

|         |           Michael A        |
|         |           Nachbaur         |
|         |           <mike@nachbaur.co|
|         |           m>               |
|         |           21/05/2003 18:28 |
|         |           users            |

-------------------------------------------------------|

<bhebert@c-quential.com>                                               |
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite help

-------------------------------------------------------|

I think the following might work.  You'll have to add it to your HTTPS
VirtualHost.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond   %{HTTP_HOST}    ^mydomain.com$
RewriteRule    ^(.*)$                     https://www.mydomain.com$1 [R]

What this does (I think, I'm no mod_rewrite expert) is perform the
RewriteRule
to redirect the browser to the full domain name only if the HTTP_HOST
request
header is mydomain.com (minus the www.).

On Wednesday 21 May 2003 08:08 am, Beau Hebert wrote:
> First, a big thanks to all out in Apacheland for helping me rewrite
> incoming http requests to https. It works like a charm. But, as usual,
> one success has led to another obstacle.
>
> As mentioned, all incoming HTTP requests are rewritten to HTTPS using
> mod_rewrite with the following code (thanks again Jurgen):
>
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://www.mydomain.com$1
>
> As a consequence to having all requests being HTTPS I also need to
have
> all incoming requests contain www (i.e.
> https://www.mydomain.com/login.php  rather than simply
> https://mydomain.com/login.php), otherwise the user receives an alert
> that the name on the Certificate doesn't match the website. This is
> because the Secure Certificate is registered to the fully qualified
> domain. So, my question: is there a way (either augmenting the code
> above or including new code) so that if someone were to type
> http://mydomnain.com/anypage.jsp, it would be rewritten to
> https://www.mydomain.com/anypage.jsp.
>
> Thanks.
> Beau

Michael A Nachbaur <mike@nachbaur.com>

********************
IMPORTANT NOTICE  This email (including any attachments) is meant only
for the intended recipient. It may also contain confidential and
privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any
reliance on, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this email or
attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately
by email if you have received this message by mistake and delete the
email and all attachments.

Any views or opinions in this email are solely those of the author and
do not necessarily represent those of Trinity Mirror PLC or its
associated group companies (hereinafter referred to as "TM Group"). TM
Group accept no liability for the content of this email, or for the
consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information
provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing.
Although every reasonable effort is made to keep its network free from
viruses, TM Group accept no liability for any virus transmitted by this
email or any attachments and the recipient should use up-to-date virus
checking software. Email to or from this address may be subject to
interception or monitoring for operational reasons or for lawful
business practices.

Trinity Mirror PLC is the parent  company of the Trinity Mirror group of
companies and is registered in England No 82548, with its address at One
Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5AP.