httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff Cohen" <supp...@gej-it.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Proxy authentication
Date Wed, 14 May 2003 01:58:42 GMT
> > Let me get the point... are you trying to simulate
> > something like a SOCKS 5
> > (proxy server with user auth) on your apache?
>
> Yes. The idea is to have Apache2 working as Proxy with
> authentication.
> BUT, the question for now is: when/how is the user
> autentication made?
>
> I'm asking this because this is going to be used by
> several persons, and i would like to have authentication
> but with the least configuration effort. The idea is maybe
> to use later a tansparent proxy like Squid (with
> autentication).
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Rafael

ok, I never tried that before so if somebody did please correct me, this is
just a suggestion:
First you got to make a htpasswd file, then point the proxy requests to that
file

Listen 8080
<VirtualHost ip:8080>
# First make sure only your users can use this open proxy
<Location proxy:*>
	Order Deny,Allow
	Deny from all
	Allow from 192.168  # i.e. your network
	AuthType Basic
	AuthName "Please Enter your Username and Password"
	AuthUserFile /path/to/pass.htpasswd
	Require valid-user
</Location>
	# Now enable proxying
	ProxyRequests on
</VirtualHost>

Hope this will work, otherwise it should be tweaked a bit.

All the best,
Jeff Cohen
Jeff@GEJ-IT.com
Tel. (416) 917-2324