httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Corey Tyndall" <CTynd...@PCMH.COM>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] question
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2003 13:23:03 GMT
Is this done in the http.conf or another file?

>>> RDNelson@Mail.Donaldson.com 04/22/03 04:28PM >>>
Corey:

> I know this has probably been posted already but I can't seem to
find
> it....I have apache running and I want users to be able to go to an
> address such as http://myserver.com/home/user and get a
> listing of files
> to download.  Well...all is good until you click on the file
> to download
> and it opens it up in the browser instead of downloading it.  I know
> can have the users right click and save but I am trying to make it
as
> easy as possible.  So how do I get it to ask you if you would like
> save the file or open it?

This is a mime type issue.  You need to give the file extensions of
the
files to be downloaded a type which the browser handles by saving it
disk.

Be warned when working on this that IE will sometimes straight up
ignore the
server.  It's their nice little contribution to destroying Internet
standards.

 ~ Robert