httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache Errors
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2003 21:05:30 GMT
Albert E. Whale, CISSP wrote:

>After successfully compiling the Apache software, I get the following on startup.  Here's
my error:

>#  /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
>Syntax error on line 207 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:

This refers to a syntax error in the run time configuration file, not
the compile time conf.

>Cannot load /usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_vhost_alias.so into server: ld.so.1: /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd:
fatal: relocation error: file /usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_vhost_alias.so: symbol ap_os_is_path_absolute:
referenced symbol not found

It appears that the cited path is not where the file actually resides.

>/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
>
>Here's the configure line:
>
>./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-module=all --enable-shared=max --enable-rule=EAPI
--with-layout=Apache

>Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Load up your favorite editor with httpd.conf and take a look at line
207.  You could comment the line to see if that makes it work, or you
could correct the path.  It seems that your installation does not comply
with the Filesystem Hierarchy Standards, so I won't even guess where
that might be.

--
gt           kk5st@sbcglobal.net
The advice is free, and worth every cent.