httpd-users mailing list archives

From Adam Moffett <adaml...@clarityconnect.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Access control to certain websites
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2003 14:21:50 GMT
>Hi,
>
>Currently all users in my company access the company's various Intranet
>servers thru' the apache proxy server (ie. Apache 1.3.6) running on
>SunOS 5.5.1. Is there a way to configure apache such that only
>certain group of people or certain person can only accessed certain
>Intranet
>websites/webpages??? If yes, what needs to be configured or added in
>apache???
>
>Any info would be helpful and thanks in advance.

There're a lot of ways to do that.

You could restrict by IP's or host names like this:

<Location "http://some.host/some/url">
	Order deny,allow
	Deny from All
	Allow from some.other.host
	Allow from 10.5.5.152
</Location>

Or you could prompt for a username and password and only allow
certain users access:

<Location "http://some.host/some/url">
	AuthType basic
	AuthName "Restricted area"
	AuthUserFile "/etc/httpd/webpasswords"
	require user tom dick harry
</Location>

And then you'd have to use the htpasswd utility to put users into the
password file.  Since "require user" specifies users tom, dick, and
harry; only those users will be allowed access.  You could change it
to "require valid-user" to allow any authenticated user.