httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] mod_vhost_alias, directories, 403
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2003 19:08:23 GMT

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:
> > Lots of forbidden questions lately.  And it is impossible to
> > answer them until you have read and understood the following:
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#for> bidden
>
> Then it should be possible to answer them, since I'd done that before I
> asked.

Quite possible.  But if you don't tell us what you've checked, then we
need to start with the most basic questions.

> OS-level permissions are fine, as the full directory path is
> world-readable.

And world-searchable?  All the way from the root directory down?

> All directives that I *think* could be playing a role were included in
> the original message.
>
> The notion in the documentation that the log will illustrate the answer
> is pretty barren:
>
> www.acirclesquare.org 209.237.225.74 - - [30/Apr/2003:11:43:23 -0700]
> "GET / HTTP/1.1" 403 288

But what about the error log, which is what the FAQ refers to?  (There are
some occasions where a 403 occurs without writing anything to the error
log.  Almost always this is caused by bad unix permissions.)

Joshua.