httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Increasing httpd server load...
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:48:02 GMT

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, System wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am using redhat 7.2 with apache 1.3.27 running on it. From last few days I
> am seeing that server load on my server increases drastically and again
> comes down to normal after some time. When I checked the running processes I
> found user nobody consuming maximum resources on my server. Is there anyway
> to trace out what makes the server load goes up and who is executing that
> process?

"nobody" is simply the user that apache is server requests under.  Seeing
load spikes is not at all unusual for web servers.  In particular, you can
pretty much ignore the "load average" figures.  They are not important.
The "cpu usage" is a little more interesting, but what you should focus on
is actual performance.

Are you asking for help identifying exactly which requests are taking up
the processor time?  If so, you can see mod_status, or you can add the PID
to your LogFormat and correlate your access_log with your process listing.

Joshua.