httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] HTML Global Variable or command line execution.
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2003 00:01:25 GMT

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Robert J. Liguori wrote:
> I have a text string that is in several HTML files.
> I wish to change this string in one place, and have all other files
> reference this change.
>
> Is there a way to make a global variable?
> Is there a way to cat out the contents of a file and pass that to the
> HTML file?

This is probably the most common and basic problem in website design.
There are TONS of different ways to deal with it.  One way is to use a
server-side language like mod_include (included with apache), php, or
mod_perl to process the files as they are sent.

But if your pages don't change frequently, I'd instead recommend using a
pre-processor like m4 to generate static pages.  It is simpler, and puts
much less load and complication on your web server.

People in this group could provide more details on either technique.  But
since this is a general web-admin question and has very little to do with
apache in particular, you might have better luck on a more general
webmaster forum.

Joshua.