httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Setup HTTP server
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 23:58:44 GMT

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Loc Nguyen wrote:
> I am running an Apache web server version 1.3.26 on Debian Linux.
> By default, the web server returns the server version as "Server:
> Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux". Can I change this to say
> something like "Server: Webserver" ? I don't want to give out too much
> information about the web server.
>
> Another question: When I telnet to the web server and issuing "OPTIONS
> *" method, I get back "Allow: GET, HEAD, OPTIONS, TRACE". Can I reject
> the OPTIONS method request with a 400 Bad Request error message ?

Seems like a silly thing to do with your time.  How is this at all
dangerous?

Anyway, have you tried

<Location />
<Limit OPTIONS>
Order allow,deny
Deny from all
</Limit>
</Location>

This will give you a 403 rather than a 400, but sending back a 400 in this
case seems to me like a violation of the HTTP standards.

Joshua