httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] AllowOverride behaving weird
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 04:30:50 GMT

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Justin M. wrote:

> I am experiencing a very weird, and annoying, problem with the
> AllowOverride directive in Apache 1.3.27. This problem cropped up after I
> updated the glibc Redhat package to version 'glibc-2.3.2-4.80'. I have ran
> my Apache webserver for years without ever running into anything like
> this. Whenever AllowOverride is set to *anything but* None, I get the
> following error:
> [Sat Mar 22 17:18:52 2003] [crit] [client 193.252.111.xxx]
> /home/httpd/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure
> it is readable

Does Apache (or "other") have read permission on the /home/httpd
directory?

Apache must be able to read any directory where AllowOverride is not set
to none.  Otherwise a security problem could arise if someone tries to
restrict access to a directory using .htaccess, but an attacker is able to
make the .htaccess file unreadable.

So your choices:
1. Allow apache read access to these directories; or
2. Turn off AllowOverride except in the directories where you need it.

Joshua.