httpd-users mailing list archives

From animesh bansriyar <anim...@neolinuxsolutions.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Reg Apache Configuration
Date Sun, 27 Apr 2003 14:25:25 GMT

First of all, please wrap your lines at < 74 chars.

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, tanmaya Anand wrote:

> I have to create a web interface for controlling/administering Linux, using apache as
web server. For Example, There is a web page which allows you to enter you DNS server(s),
then, as soon as the user clicks the submit button, the modified information should be written
to /etc/resolv.conf & "service  named restart" command should be executed.

> I'm able to write the information to resolv.conf, but i'm unable to execute the command.
In my view, this is some permissions problem( as apache is
> running under user "nobody", with minimum privileges), but I'm unable to rectify that.

You are correct in your assesment of the problem, we had also been facing
this problem. What we did was move to another webserver, Xitami which can
run as root. I think we can run apache as root but that is dangerous as I
have heard. I would also like to know more about it.

--
Animesh