httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Justin M." <glowe...@jackmoves.com>
Subject [users@httpd] AllowOverride behaving weird
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 01:06:37 GMT
I am experiencing a very weird, and annoying, problem with the
AllowOverride directive in Apache 1.3.27. This problem cropped up after I
updated the glibc Redhat package to version 'glibc-2.3.2-4.80'. I have ran
my Apache webserver for years without ever running into anything like
this. Whenever AllowOverride is set to *anything but* None, I get the
following error:
[Sat Mar 22 17:18:52 2003] [crit] [client 193.252.111.xxx]
/home/httpd/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure
it is readable

/home/httpd being my doc root. When I get this error I will get a 403
access denied message when trying to access any website on my server.
Apache seems to check for .htaccess in *every* directory under doc root
and if it doesn't exist, it denys access. I have tried doing 'touch
/home/httpd/.htaccess' which results in access being given to /home/httpd,
but nothing else. So I get a website that has the index.html loaded but
none of the images in /home/httpd/images. The error in the log then looks
like:
[Sat Mar 22 17:20:31 2003] [crit] [client 193.252.111.xxx]
/home/httpd/images/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file,
ensure it is readable

I have never had this happen before and those directories that Apache is
complaining about have never had .htaccess files in them. My AllowOverride
has been set to 'Limit AuthConfig FileInfo' for years with no problems. I
have recompiled Apache from source multiple times after the glibc update
and always get the same results. Right now my AllowOverride is set to
None, so my websites work for the most part. However, I have some pretty
bad problems with some things because I cannot set variables for certain
directories with .htaccess anymore.

After all the troubleshooting I've done the last week or so, the only
thing I can attribute the problem to is the glibc update. If I do an ldd
on my httpd binary, I can see that almost all the shared libraries that
httpd uses were modified when the glibc update was installed. I searched
in the Apache archives today for anything like this and found nothing.
When doing a google search on my error message last week I did find the
following:
http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/patches/apply_to_1.3.2/htaccess_check.txt

That problem is basically what I am experiencing. However, my PHP version
is at 4.2.3 and Apache version is much newer, 1.3.27. I also found another
thread in that search that said the problem could be caused by libcrypt
being compiled incorrectly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Justin