httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tim Wort <...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] tail -f and resources
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2003 19:59:55 GMT

I don't think you well find it a big problem, utilities like swatch (a
perl script used to monitor logs) also tails the log files and processes
entries which is certianly more overhead than just dumping text to a tty.

In my admin days I watched logs with swatch 7x24 and never noticed any
real degradation.

YMMV

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, Mike wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> When making significant site changes, I'll use the tail command (tail -f)
> to watch either the access or (more importantly) the error log files to
> watch as people hit the site.
>
> In using tail -f to watch the error log file, I'm watching to make sure
> there are no orphaned file calls/links that need to be corrected/fixed.
>
> The access log file is typically larger.
> The error log file is typically much smaller.
>
> Does anyone know if using tail -f to watch either or both of these files
> for relatively extended periods of time will use too much system
> utilization, and therefore I should do it sparingly? Or does it really not
> matter too much?
>
> I'm not having any problems. Everything is fine. I'm just wanting to make
> sure that I'm not over-taxing the system - and not even realizing it - by
> using tail -f as described.
>
> Thanks.
> -mike

=        Inkling Research Inc.      =