httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Eugen Leitl" ...@infochem.de>
Subject [users@httpd] unable to build apache binary on either linux or solaris
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 13:17:22 GMT

This is a plea for help.

Background: some of our products run on top of Apache.
Both Windows and Solaris (at times other *nix). I write
installers in /bin/sh and Perl. I typically take binary
distributions from a mirror of <http://www.apache.de/dist/httpd/binaries/>

Main advantage of this that it allows me to define
--prefix= at install time. As clearly one cannot expect
a working C compiler to be present on clients' machines.
Also I've been burned by failed dependencies when just packaging
a local build into a tarball, even assuming /usr/local/apache2 is
not taken, or points to a partition with enough space for the app.

Main disadvantage is that the versions available trails
the most recent stable by a couple of versions (which can
be rather fatal, given the recent surge in vulnerabilities),
and is frequently unavailable for less supported platforms.

Because of this I'm trying to figure out how to roll my own
Apache binary distributions (the 2.0 branch), so far to no avail.
I've consistently failed to build binary on both Solaris and Linux.

./build/binbuild.sh fails by itself or whether
./configure --prefix=/home/eugen/download/apache2 --with-layout=Apache
issued before.

The culprit might or might not lie in

APR Version: 0.9.3
** Error: unable to find layout Apache
configure failed for srclib/apr

I've searched far and wide, and found basically nothing. I've asked
this list some weeks ago, but don't see any responses in the archives.
I'm pretty desperate at this point, but I figured another query wouldn't
hurt.

(Probably should just give up on Apache, and look at a http server in
pure Perl...)