httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Basci Authentication
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2003 07:58:28 GMT
Plain text please...

Your weird scenario occurs because you are nesting authentication
realms. This is not supported in HTTP and the results are browser
dependent. When you make a request that leads to
/usr/download/software/myfile, the server can only respond with one 401
response - how is the browser supposed to know which directory it refers
to? Normally, there is only one "Authorization" header in an HTTP
request - how is the server supposed to know which directory to apply it
to?

I guess it "works" if you use the user admin because he is authorised
for both realms and so gets in but really what is going on behind the
scenes is anyone's guess.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee Peik Feng [mailto:pflee@syabas.com]
Sent: Dienstag, 29. April 2003 09:36
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Basci Authentication

***forgot to put a subject

Hi,
    I have setup apache1.3.27 on RedHat Linux 7.3 with the following
configuration in httpd.conf to enable basic authentication.

    However, I encounter a weird scenario where if I use guest to access
http://www.myweb.com:8889/software the browser will prompt me for
password for unlimited time until I press esc or cancel then only I
could see the page. I could enter the password once and press esc/cancel
and I'll be able to access the page. If I use admin to access the same
url, I only need to type password once.  Why is this happen ? Is there
something wrong with my configuration?

<VirtualHost www.myweb.com:8889>
DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm
DocumentRoot /usr/download
ServerName www.myweb.com

<Directory /usr/download>
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Authentication Required"
AuthUserFile /opt/apache/passwd/passwords
Require user admin
</Directory>

<Directory /usr/download/software>
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Authentication Required"
AuthUserFile /opt/apache/passwd/passwords
Require user admin guest
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

The sender’s company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
views of the sender’s company.