httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Really basic question.
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 13:46:19 GMT

Apache starts by looking in the directory defined by "DocumentRoot". It
looks for the first file which matches one off the list defined by
"DirectoryIndex". If this directive is not set, it looks for
"index.html" by default.

If no such files exist, and you do NOT have "Options -Indexes" for the
directory, apache will list the directory contents.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>Best regards,
>
>Michael