httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Newbie Needs Help
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2003 07:01:13 GMT

Helping someone who is stuck is no bother. My comments were intended to advise you on how
to get the best from the list. That is, by doing a considerable amount of work yourself and
by posting complete answers to specific queries. After receiving advice, you have tended to
post back the default failure message in the browser (e.g. "This page cannot be displayed")
and then ask "What next?".

In my post I did ask several questions which, if you seek answers to them, will broaden your
understanding of what's going on. If you care to post those answers, I (and others) will be
happy to continue to help.

My point about your knowledge level is a warning, not a criticism: take anyone out of their
area of expertise and they become a clueless newbie - I am completely baffled by cocoon, for
instance. The problem with a webserver is that it is an application which allows unknown people
out in the world to access files on your computer. This is quite scary when you think about
it and it is important that you understand the risks and how to protect your server. This
requires a certain level of understanding to begin with. If this mailing list was about driving
cars, how would you feel if you saw a post: "I've got my car started and out on the road.
The speedo is reading 90... Now, how is it that you steer?".

Rgds,
Owen Boyle