httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Newbie Needs Help
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2003 07:04:06 GMT
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Global Point Solutions [mailto:gps1@comcast.net]
>
>This page cannot be displayed??

Please try to dig a little more before posting replies - bear in mind
that this list goes out to a few thousand subscribers and not just to
the person you last talked to.

This useless message is the default response of IE whenever it
encounters any sort of problem - you might as well say "it didn't work".
What else is it saying in the small print? What happens if you try
another browser (netscape, Opera - if you're going to be a web developer
you should keep a zoo of browsers to test pages with).

Look in the error_log and see what it says there when you try to access
the server. Rather than just posting it, try to understand what it could
mean. Cut'n'paste the message into Google - what does it say? Search the
mailing list archives - any clues? Look in the access_log - what does it
say there? what HTTP response code is given? (check LogFormat in the
docs for details). If nothing is seen, are you even sure that apache is
running - can you ping the IP?, can you telnet to port 80 and issue a
GET?

There's nothing obviously wrong with the config and given your rather
complicated setup (3 name-based VHs on one private IP serving 3 distinct
public IPs), I rather suspect your problems are to do with address
translation and network configuration between the internet and apache.
Are you trying access from inside your DMZ or via the public internet?
Your VH domain names resolve to different public IPs - do you have
address translation in your FW to convert them to the private IP you
quote?

About your config - though not really an error, I wouldn't mix wildcard
NameVirtualHost with specific-IP VirtualHost tags... Simpler to say:

	NameVirtualHost *
	<Virtualhost *>

and let the ServerName argument trap the request.

I fear that your general level of knowledge is a bit limited to be
running a webserver. Apache isn't MS word and it is a prerequisite of
its use that you understand a fair bit about filesystems, TCP/IP and the
HTTP protocol. Read up on those when you get a chance...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

views of the sender's company.