httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] apache 1.3.27 cgi's getting stuck
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2003 07:42:53 GMT

Apache will not wait forever for a CGI to execute. I was going to
suggest altering the "TimeOut" directive which (I thought) sets the
limit on the time apache will wait for a CGI to return. However, on
re-reading the docs, I'm now a little uncertain. The docs say:

"The TimeOut directive currently defines the amount of time Apache will
wait [...] to receive a GET request."

That strikes me as a little ambiguous. Apache receives GET requests from
the client so this seems to mean that if apache doesn't get any requests
from the web, it times out! I rather think it means:

"The TimeOut directive currently defines the amount of time Apache will
wait [...] to receive a the results of a GET request from the local OS."

Anyway, you could try a larger TimeOut, and/or adjusting the CGI so that
it feeds back a line or two of HTML every few seconds while it is
executing so that apache knows that something is happening.

By the way, am I correct in understanding that it is the CGI process
which hangs and not apache?

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>Over time this starts to cause major problems as in
>about an hour
>i have ~200 apache processes in this state and if I don't HUP
>the server
>It can acutely take over all available processes.  I have tried
>different perl versions etc. with no effect. Any help would be
>appreciated.
>

>Thanks
>Byron
>--