httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Newbie stuck
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2003 07:15:31 GMT
Plain text please...

> the only page I can get is the default web page.

What page were you expecting to get? I presume you mean you have created
some content (html pages, images etc.) and want to view it. If so, the
key directive you need to look at is "DocumentRoot" which tells apache
where to start looking on your filesystem. Check the docs for details,
but briefly:

if you have:

	DocumentRoot "C:/apache/html"

then:

	http://your-server/mypage.html

will serve the file at:

	C:/apache/html/mypage.html

It maybe when you do this, you get a "Forbidden 403" error. This can
happen if your "Allow" and "Deny" directives are set incorrectly. Check
the docs for details, but:

	<Directory C:/apache/html>
		Allow from all
	</Directory>

should fix it.

Finally, when posting queries, it helps if you:

- describe exactly what you want to happen
- describe exactly what is actually happening (i.e. error codes etc. -
don't say "doesn't work" :-)
- copy any error_log messages
- copy a snippet of your config (don't post the whole config - it's too
huge for anyone to bother reading)

You could also read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Rgds,
Owen Boyle