httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] More than one Apache server on the same system ?
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:57:32 GMT

It's quite usual to do this in a development environment but not very
usual on a production server. The reason is port numbers - each instance
of apache has to listen to a different port (or set of ports, if you
have PBVHs). In development, that's usually not a problem; server_A can
be on ports 8080,8443 and server_B can be on ports 9080, 9443 etc. On a
production server you usually want to have all servers use the standard
ports 80 and 443. However, if you can give them different IP addresses
then that would be OK (server_A on ip1:80, server_B on ip2:80).

>Do you have an example of this kind of use ?

That's really all there is to it. You just have two config files and the
only requirement is that they don't try to share the same IP:port
combination - oh, and different logfiles too (I'm not sure what happens
if two processes try to write to the same logfile...). Then you just
start apache twice with the two different configs (probably, you'd want
to use the "-f" option to define the config file, rather than compile
different versions of httpd!)

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>I need these informations because I'm testing Apache on a
>Proportional Share
>scheduler and I'm trying to consider realistic http loads and services.
>
>thanks for hints
>bye

views of the sender's company.