httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Manu Kits" <manojkithany...@hotmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Forbidden Error in Users Directory
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2003 20:44:38 GMT
Hello everyone,

I am using APache 1.3.26 on IBM AIX System.

I have a user named 'hari' whose home directory is "/homr/hari"  and whose
directory structure is as follows:

#pwd
/home/hari/public_html
#ls -l
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     system            2 Mar 06 14:01 abc -> abc
-rw-r--r--   1 hari 	usr           28457 Mar 06 14:09 index.html
-rw-r-----   1 hari	usr            6087 Apr 01 12:40 news.html
-rw-r--r--   1 root     system           82 Apr 01 10:27 test.html
-rw-r-----   1 hari	usr              82 Apr 01 12:45 test1.html
root#

My HTTPD.CONF file settings for this directory are:
DocumentRoot "/usr/local/apache/htdocs"

<Directory /home/hari/public_html>
    Options +FollowSymLinks +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch +Indexes
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

Alias /abc/ /home/hari/public_html/

I have following directory settings on apache dir:
#pwd
/usr/local/apache/htdocs
#ls -l
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     system           26 Mar 06 14:01 abc ->
/home/hari/public_html

i.e: I have CREATED a SYMBOLIC LINK of User 'HARI's PUBLIC_HTML directory in
DOCUMENTROOT.

When I try to access http://www.my.domain.com/abc/test1.html, I get
following Error message in Browser - wonder why?
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /abc/test1.html on this server.

Also, my ERROR_LOG file shows following:
Permission denied: file permissions deny server access:
/home/hari/public_html/test1.html

However, when I try to access http://www.my.domain.com/abc/test.html, it
works just great. SO I guess the problem would be in the FILE Access
rights/permission.

Can any one tell me how to display the file publishes by user HARI?

Any related informatino on this is appreciated.

THANKS!