httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eddy.COLL...@cec.eu.int
Subject [users@httpd] Serving according to NTFS permissions
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:45:41 GMT
Hi all,

No environment defined, for the sake of simplicity I'd tend to try with a
Win32 server for this one, especially if NTLM is involved :

Let's say there are documents on the server, and NTFS permissions are set to
allow only specific users to each document. Does any of you know of any way
to have Apache enforce the permissions when serving content ?

1. Apache could rely on an LDAP / Active Directory authentication to
identify the user.
Yet, the way I see things, Apache process will need its own userid to be
able to access files but will not care to check if the remote user is
authorized.

2. I was wondering if the NTLM authentication might be more appropriate, but
I still can't figure how security would be enforced at a document level,
except through some server side cgi that would fulfill requests and do the
trick.

I don't expect any ready made solution on this one (unless ???), but any
hint is welcome to move things forward.

Thanks in advance,

ECB