httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Ritchie <J...@pri.com.au>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] "Little Girl Lost" still needs some serious hel p/Apache Problems
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 00:13:25 GMT
In the spirit of friendly advice resigning from this list immediately.

If you believe Andre has not been obnoxious then l would suggest quite
strongly that you get out more often. His conduct would not be appreciated
on most other list systems or bulletin boards.

I belong to any number of support lists and boards, both technical and non
technical, l even moderator quite a few.

Vera can contact me direct for additional support avenues, which do not
actively insult members who may not post in a fashion that you seem to
demand.

Cheers and have a good day.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Slive [mailto:joshua@slive.ca]
Sent: Thursday, 10 April 2003 10:00 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] "Little Girl Lost" still needs some serious
hel p/Apache Problems

I know I shouldn't get into this, but.....

Ms. Newman, before you post any more questions to this group, please
follow the instructions that are clearly posted on the group's website and
read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

A little help for you on a few specific issues:

1. Yes, this is a user-to-user support group, but it is a technical group,
not a chat list.  In general, you should try to adjust your tone to be
more appropriate for such a group.

2. If anyone has made inappropriate postings in this thread, it has been
you (and possibly Jeff), not André.  André is extremely knowledable about
both Apache and mailing list etiquette.  Yes, he used the words "useless"
and "garbage" to describe parts of your posts, but those were appropriate
words to describe some of the content of your emails.  You, on the other
hand, responded with a personal attack that is completely inappropriate
for this list.

3. Unless you and Jeff plan to pay the bandwidth bill for apache.org (not
to mention the subscribers to this list), you must follow André's advice
and post only necessary information.  Do not post entire config files
unless it is absolutely necessary, and do trim your quotes.  This is basic
mailing list etiquette.

I send this in the spirit of friendly advice.  But if you can't catch on
to the way this list works, then I will be forced to put on my moderator
hat.  Paraphrasing the incredible hulk: you won't like me if I put on my
moderator's hat ;-)

Joshua.