httpd-users mailing list archives

From Troxel Steven O CRBV <Troxe...@nswccd.navy.mil>
Subject [users@httpd] Internal Redirect Changes POST to GET
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:50:46 GMT
I have noticed with Apache 2.* that a "internal redirect" such as when using RewriteRule or
DirectoryIndex directive that a POST request method is transformed to a GET method resulting
in the lose of POST form parameters.

For example:

In a dir /somedir if you have a .htaccess file with a rewrite rule

RewriteRule *. /cgi-bin/prog.pl

Then http://myserver.com/somedir/ is internally redirected to the application prog.pl.  Since
this is an internal redirect the browser never knows the difference.  Everything works fine
for a GET method and the QUERY_STRING is preserved however if the original method was a POST
the request method is changed to a GET internally and form parameters are lost.

This use to work with Apache 1.3.*. with both RewriteRule and DirectoryIndex and I cannot
see any logical reason why you would want the method transformed.