httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lauralyn Ninow <Lauralyn.Ni...@comtrol.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] RE: IE6+Adobe Reader 5 will not open a PDF File
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2003 15:58:34 GMT
Comments below.  =)

LN

OK. you're opening PDFS using the plugin in the browser.  That is browser
specific. and using CGI verses something other technology doesn't matter -
as long as the headers are correct. Using PHP?
http://www.zend.com/manual/function.header.php
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616 - HTTP Protocol

> My web server does not use Location:, it returns bata directly to the
> connection.

I don't use the Location header either. How are you writing the data to the
connection?

> However, exactly the same PDF file is not displayed from
> Apache server.

Are you still using IE6 at this point? what errors are you getting? Or are
you getting a blank or partial page? - If so, That happened to me in two
cases: 1) when the data wasn't written to the broswer in binary. And 2) when
not all of the data was sent. Either way, I had to use a sniffer to find
that out.

> According to a

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwebteam/h
tml/webteam07012002.asp

> if I use Content-disposition: Inline, then IE 6 displays PDF
> INSIDE browser
> window

I looked at the article above titled "Redmond's Gray Skies of Summer" -
there is now mention of Content-disposition. Did you give the right URL?
Watch out for frames, the URL rarely matches which article you're actually
reading.

> If PDF file does not start with %PDF-  , Acrobat reader displays error
> message about this.
> If PDF file is corrupted, Acrobat reader displays error message also.
>
> What sniffer to use in Windows ? or is it possible to log packets from
> Apache side ?

I used Ethereal (sniffer program) It's logs network traffic, it doesn't
matter what the web server is. And I believe it is platform-independent.