httpd-users mailing list archives

From gjmwa...@netscape.net (George Walsh)
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosts; document root as seen from alocal user account and from the internet
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 20:09:32 GMT
Hi, Jack ...

The info from your 'dig' looks a-okay to me.

The problem seems to be what happens when the request lands at the server. It is, I've now
determined, forwarded by the Linksys Router to 192.168.1.10 which is the main or default server.
It does not get to 'see' the dns record pointing it to 192.168.1.11 or all would be well.
Unfortunately, I can't make the router do all the neat things dns does. So, as I have suggested
to Lee, it seems I need to find a way of intervening to redirect traffic from the default
server to where it belongs. I am assuming this is possible but I have never had to deal with
this before - mainly because I was only involved in developing one site rather than 2 and
the problem never arose.

I very much appreciate your reaching out to lend a hand.

"George"

>George:
>
>This is what I get when I run dig against your name...
>You must have DNS a configuration error.
>
>Jack
>

>; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> www.cruiseroutes.com
>;; global options:  printcmd
>;; Got answer:
>;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 37976
>;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
>
>;; QUESTION SECTION:
>;www.cruiseroutes.com.      IN  A
>
>;; ANSWER SECTION:
>www.cruiseroutes.com.   86334   IN  A   64.180.134.136
>
>;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
>cruiseroutes.com.   86334   IN  NS  clgrps02.telus.net.
>cruiseroutes.com.   86334   IN  NS  clgrps01.telus.net.
>
>;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
>clgrps01.telus.net. 3534    IN  A   198.80.55.1
>clgrps02.telus.net. 3534    IN  A   198.161.156.1
>
>;; Query time: 1 msec
>;; SERVER: 216.161.242.50#53(216.161.242.50)
>;; WHEN: Thu Apr  3 11:45:20 2003
>;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 141
>

>George Walsh wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Lee, and thanks for your suggestion.
>>
>> Actually, I Had already tried nslookup and ran a host -a on that doamin as well when
I had earlier configured sendmail.

>> For the record, nslookup -sil www.cruiseroutes.com reports:
>>
>> Server:   192.168.1.10
>> Address:  192.168.1.10#53
>>
>> Name:     www.cruiseroutes.com
>> Address:  192.168.1.11
>>
>> All of that is correct, yet if you try www.cruiseroutes.com you will be taken to
the ADVX index page which only exists in the main (default) server's directory at /var/www/html.
It does get the name right on that page, as i mentioned, but it has 'no business' being in
that directory.

>> Obviously there is a different path being followed between inside and outside calls
but I don't know how to follow that along in a logical way.