httpd-users mailing list archives

From gjmwa...@netscape.net (George Walsh)
Subject [users@httpd] Virtual Hosts; document root as seen from a local user account and from the internet
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 17:17:27 GMT

I am working with Apache 2.0.44 under Mandrake 9.1.

This configuration is connected to the internet through a LinkSys router. There are 4 hosts
listed in etc/hosts using ipaliasing. DNS and sendmail are also installed and working correctly
together.

In the Apache config file, 2 virtual hosts have been established to handle traffic for the
2 web sites under development:

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.11>
ServerAdmin sysadmin@cruiseroutes.com
ServerName www.cruiseroutes.com
DocumentRoot /cdiv/web
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /cdiv/cgi-bin
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 192.168.2.12>
ServerAdmin sysadmin@xprservices.com
ServerName www.xprservices.com
DocumentRoot /xdiv/web
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /xdiv/cgi-bin
</VirtualHost>

If I log in to a local user account Apache will correctly resolve either localhost or cruiseroutes.com
to the default server's page at /var/www/html. It will also correctly display the temporary
html.index pages when I ask for either www.cruiseroutes.com or www.xprservices.com, so
I know the virtual hosting is working.

However, if I go to another machine and ask for www.cruiseroutes.com or www.xprservices.com
I am taken to the default page at /var/www/html instead of to the correct Document Root, albeit
the correct URL name is nicely displayed on the default page.

To guard against possible access problems I inserted a specific 'allow from all' in a <Directory>
instruction within each virtual host but nothing changed.

There are no errors reported in the log, and the access log shows nothing unusual about the
calls made.

Could some kind heart out there point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much ...

George Walsh,
Managing Director,
CruiseRoutes Division,