httpd-users mailing list archives

From batrist...@mediageneral.com
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache says it's started but it hasn't....
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 15:52:57 GMT
Yes I'm on solaris - thanks for the info but I had another pair of eyes look
at it here and he figured out that the box wasn't rebooted after my
change....so it's up finally Apache with SSL

-:)
YEAH

-----Original Message-----
From: Jimmy McDonald [mailto:iod@bsdshell.dyndns.org]
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 10:49 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache says it's started but it hasn't....

If I remember correctly you are on a Solaris box.

I have run into this problem before and its very frustrating.

Since the logs are showing you nothing, my next step would
be to take a look at what is really happening.

The following will create a big ugly file with a bunch of stuff that looks
impossible to understand.

truss -o truss.out -f ./apachectl start

----[sidenote]----

	If you have linux, I believe the equivalent would be:

	strace -o strace.out -f ./apachectl start

	If so, just do a man strace

----[/sidenote]----

If you issue that, all the system calls, signals and faults of the process
and child processes will be sent to the file truss.out

>From there you might be able to get some insight as to what exactly is
causing the failure.

This file is not easy to read and you might want read the man pages on it to
see if some of the options might be interesting to you but the man pages
don't tell you how to read the output but rather how to pick and chose what
you want to output and to some extent, how you want it to look.

There could be things that on first pass look like errors
where the process says it couldn't find something in a certain path but if
you look it will keep looking in other places and in the end actually does
find it.

Usually what I do edit the truss.out and go to the end of the file and work
my way up because the message where process terminated will be most likely
be at the end. Of course, some condition that was recorded earlier in the
file might be the reason it terminated.

Sometimes even using truss doesn't reveal what you were hoping it would but
since it takes almost no time it's worth a go.