httpd-users mailing list archives

From gjmwa...@netscape.net (George Walsh)
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosts; document root as seen fromalocaluser account and from the internet
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 19:49:57 GMT
Hi again, Lee!

Well, I've cleared both caches for both browsers without any effect.

The listing for www.cruiseroutes.com is correct in /etc/hosts.

Recall that on the local server, everything is working perfectly as far as I can determine.
Its only when one enters from the outside ...

So, as always when I find myself explaining what I am doing to someone else, I tend to 'listen
to myself' at the same time. Outside means through the LinkSys Router - essentially a nat
unit. In there, I know that WAN blocking is turned off as it should be, but I also noticed
that forwarding has been turned on for affected ports. And that forwarding is set to 192.168.1.10.
I can forward traffic from as many ports as I require, but only to one IP address - in this
case that of the main server. Ahah.

So .... to try things out I removed forwarding entirely. Then, not surprisingly, when I entered
URL www.cruiseroutes.com on the external browser, it couldn't resolve. Nor could it resolve
the literal ip address 192.168.1.11. Fair enough - proved that forwarding works.

That means I am left with the need to interfere with incoming traffic and redirect it to the
correct IP. I assume this is possible. I see lots of references to such rewriting but have
never attempted to use it.

Am I on the right track here?

Regards,

"George"

>  Something is fishy.  The main server is at 192.168.1.10.
>  www.cruiseroutes.com is at 192.168.1.11.  www.xprservices.com is
>  at 192.168.1.12.
>
>  You enter www.cruiseroutes.com in the browser and get the default
>  page for 192.168.1.10?  Yet nslookup says the IP is 192.168.1.11.
>  Have you tried emptying the cache on the browsers you are using?
>  Did www.cruiseroutes.com ever have 192.168.1.10 as its IP address
>  at some earlier point during testing, and did you use these browsers
>  to access it at that address before?  If so, try emptying the cache,
>  both memory- and disk-based.  Is there, by chance, an entry in the
>  hosts file for www.cruiseroutes.com pointing the 192.168.1.10 on the
>  remote machine?
>

>--
>Lee Fellows <lfellows@4lane.com>