httpd-users mailing list archives

From Denise Mangano <Deni...@complusdata.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Multiple httpd conf files? (New to list)
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2003 14:32:55 GMT
Unfortunately yes, each client can only have access to their own section of
the website.  I'm dealing with government clients so it is important that
information for each client stays separated from the others.

Basically our client will be provided with a URL to our site
www.mywebsite.com/client1/ where they can connect to our back end systems
through the webapp.  If the go to www.mywebsite.com they will be prompted to
enter the URL exactly as it had been provided to them.  ( I am not allowed
to post links to each subdirectory here as to not make our client list
available).  If they know of another client and try to access
www.mywebsite.com/client2/ they will be brought to the index page, but will
not be able to go any further without providing information specific to the
intended client (controlled by the back end system).

Thanks again,
Denise

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Cohen [mailto:support@gej-it.com]
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 11:03 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Multiple httpd conf files? (New to list)

As I previously wrote, the alias directive *will* take effect on all Vhosts,
but the redirect will not. But let me ask you a question, does is really a
must that your clients will access only this website? Are they allowed to
access any of the other website? Are they using any of the other websites
content or just that one?

All the best,
Jeff Cohen

the
> vhost container.  The only concern there is that my website will have
> a number of subdirectories - possibly over 100 (customization for each
> of
our
> clients).  So since all requests have to come in through
> www.mywebsite.com
> would need redirects set up for each of these subdirectories as well.
>
> So for example if my live site has a subdirectory "test1" then any
attempts
> to access /test1 through the other domain names must be redirected to
> www.mywebsite.com/test1/. And so forth for each additional
> subdirectory.
If
> I were to place everything outside the vhost container, then I would
> need
> set up one alias for /test1/ and also one Redirect permanent /test1/
> http://www.mywebsite.com/test1/, and again so forth for each
> additional subdirectory?
>
> Is that correct?  Or does it seem like mod_rewrite is a better way to
> go?
>
> Thanks again!
> Denise

thing