httpd-users mailing list archives

From Denise Mangano <Deni...@complusdata.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Multiple httpd conf files? (New to list)
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2003 02:21:05 GMT
Evening everyone.  I've tried searching through the archives and reading the
FAQ's but can't seem to find a clear answer on the best way to handle the
following situation:

I am running Apache 1.3 on RH Linux 8.

I would like to have a website http://www.mywebsite.com allowable to all.
This will be my live site.

I would also like to have a test website, http://test.mywebsite.com
allowable only to localhost.

I also own 5 other domain names (www.mywebsites.com, www.mywebsites.org,
www.mywebsites.net, www.mywebsite.org, www.mywebsite.net).  However, I need
to ensure all users that type any of these by mistake get redirected to come
in through www.mywebsite.com because this is the site that I registered my
SSL certificate for.

I am familiar with Apache enough to get this working - but I'm not sure if I
handle it the right way.  The way I am trying to do it now is having one
httpd.conf file in the /etc/httpd/conf directory.  I set the server name to
mywebsite.com.  In my htdocs folder I have two directories: mywebsite and
test.mywebsite with aliases and permissions set in the main httpd.conf. I
have a series of virtual host directives set up for the other domains to
redirect to www.mywebsite.com.  The only problem with this is if my user
tries to access www.mywebsite.org/forms/ I need to redirect them to
www.mywebsite.com/forms  and this can get pretty tedious if I do this with a
bunch of redirects and aliases.

I am wondering if I can limit what I put in that main httpd.conf and somehow
configure an httpd.conf file for each individual site?  What would be the
best way to handle this?

I hope I have explained this clearly.  Thanks in advance for your help.
Denise