httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mike <mike.li...@levrah.net>
Subject [users@httpd] tail -f and resources
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2003 19:18:57 GMT
Hi folks.

When making significant site changes, I'll use the tail command (tail -f)
to watch either the access or (more importantly) the error log files to
watch as people hit the site.

In using tail -f to watch the error log file, I'm watching to make sure
there are no orphaned file calls/links that need to be corrected/fixed.

The access log file is typically larger.
The error log file is typically much smaller.

Does anyone know if using tail -f to watch either or both of these files
for relatively extended periods of time will use too much system
utilization, and therefore I should do it sparingly? Or does it really not
matter too much?

I'm not having any problems. Everything is fine. I'm just wanting to make
sure that I'm not over-taxing the system - and not even realizing it - by
using tail -f as described.

Thanks.
-mike