httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] A bug in the source code Apache 2.0.45 ?
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 18:35:39 GMT
At 02:35 AM 4/3/2003, you wrote:
>Thanks for your reply.
>
>But I think the option is nessary for users who don't want to debug.
>The .pdb files seem useless to them.

And they won't get them if the aren't building from source (I'd argue
that nearly all WIN32 users who build Apache themselves are also,
to some degree, developers.)

We didn't roll those into the .msi/.exe setup packages for Win32.
They would have gobbled bandwidth, and users aren't about to grok
a Dr. Watson log anyways.

Instead, you will see that we distribute the file;
  apache_2.0.45-win32-x86-symbols.zip
which can be found on your favorite dist/httpd/binaries/win32/ mirror.

Any user who ends up with a core file can send this file to any developer
who has this symbol package and a win32 debugger, e.g. the free WinDbg.
This assures that the Apache team can reproduce such faults.

You are welcome to blast the .pdb files from your installed tree, or set
them aside if you pass on binaries to other users.  But Without the .pdb
files corresponding to a given binary distribution, you stand very little chance
of deciphering crash dumps, or even breaking into a running server stuck
within an infinite loop, to diagnose the problem.  The .pdb file, no matter
if it was distributed or simply kept in house by the original developer,
assures that such problems can be resolved much more quickly.

The fact is that the Apache developers have no hope of ever reproducing
every conceivable configuration that is used out there in the real world.
Sometimes only a specific configuration, on a particular box will exhibit
certain segfaults or other misbehavior.

To compensate for this change, we eliminated the .map output files,
which were redundant and not terribly useful compared with .pdb results.
The net change to the Apache binaries?  A 1kb footnote in each binary
file that indicates what .pdb file was generated for cross-checking that
the correct symbols are used.  The resulting binaries are still entirely
optimized, same as the previous releases.

You have yet to indicate what is the problem you are seeing, if there
was one in the first place.  Be happy to help, if you would provide details.

Bill