httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Meadors <clubn...@hereintown.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Configuration Question
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 05:47:46 GMT
Robbert van Andel wrote:
> What do you mean "root of my file system."  My website is located in
> /usr/web, are you saying root is /usr/web, or is it / (like the root of
> the linux file system?

<Directory /> is the root of the file system, like on Linux, or on
Windows that being c:\.

If your DocumentRoot is /usr/web, then <Location /> will refer to that
"location".

> The reason, I ask is that while I was installing frontpage extensions, I
> was it configure / but not /usr/web.  Did it configure the root of the
> website or the root of the linux file system?

Hard to say, were you configuring the Front Page extension program, or
Apache?  If you made modifications to the <Directory /> stance, you
changed how Apache will restrict access to files outside of your
DocumentRoot.  Not a good thing.  As I said above, <Location /> will
change how files in the root of your website are handled, as will
<Directory /usr/web> if that is the location of the files for you site
(as you say it is).  You probably already have a <Directory /usr/web>,
so that is where I would apply the changes.

--
Chris