httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Warwick" <mwarw...@stwgtn.co.nz>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Internet access
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 22:30:50 GMT
This sounds like the sort of thing an internet cafe would use. I looked
into this once before and found that as well as commercial solutions
which generally worked at the terminal end there are a few people
working with open source solutions at the gateway end. Most of these
seem to use Squid, but using apache/php sounds like a good alternative.

I would use mod rewrite to force all requests through php. Make php
fetch the requested page and then alter it to fit a banner. You will
need to consider how a banner will work with pages on the internet,
frames will need consideration of the possibility of scripts that
'break-out' of frames, insertion at the top of the page will have to
deal with various css settings and layout techniques, pop-ups will
compete against other pop-ups.

You might also want to consider other filters while you are parsing the
page and optimisation of your script using Zend, Smarty and clean code.

I am interested in your project and would appreciate seeing the outcome.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: António Rafael Paiva [mailto:a20130@alunos.det.ua.pt]
Sent: Friday, 11 April 2003 2:57 a.m.
Subject: [users@httpd] Internet access

Hi everyone!

I'm working in my final graduate project and where is my
(future) test cenario.

I will have a server with Apache which makes the
connection between a local intranet and the web. What i
need to do is to make the internet access authenticated
and introduce publicity banners in the pages requested.

The use of a PHP script would take care of authentication
and banner introduction.

I think that i need to rewrite all requests to pass the
PHP script, but should i use Apache as a proxy server, or
change intranet DNS to provide to all domains the IP of
server with Apache so that the web server recives all
requests.

Does anyone have any ideas, sugestions, to make this?
Please help me!

António Rafael C. Paiva
Electronics and Telecommunications Dep.
Aveiro University