httpd-users mailing list archives

From John Clear <...@panix.com>
Subject [users@httpd] apache and directories without world read/exec permission
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:55:41 GMT
I've inherited a setup where the DocumentRoot is also exported via
NFS and CIFS.  Some of the directories are only group accessible,
and not world accessible.  Apache currently runs as root so that
it can serve these directories (HTTP access restricted via 'require
group' directives).

I haven't been able to come up with a way to have apache not run
as root, but still be able to serve all the pages.  The only
possibility I've come up with is putting the apache user in all
the various groups, but then the 16 group limit becomes the problem,
not to mention the maintenance headache.

I think I'm SOL, but I would appreciate any ideas.

John