httpd-users mailing list archives

From Roger Haase <crosseyedpeng...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Getting originators IP address behind a firewall
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2003 17:23:03 GMT
When I had DSL service using a Cisco 675, the Apache access_log always
showed the user's remote IP address. Having switched to cable with a
Belkin F5D5230-4, Apache doesn't seem to get the remote IP address,
instead it logs my IP address for all external accesses.

I have tried using the Belkin dmz feature and using the %a format
string in a custom log file. No joy. I now believe the Cisco combo DSL
modem/firewall had a feature not available on my Belkin. With the
Cisco, the CBOS command:
   set nat entry add 10.0.0.2 80
seemed to do the trick.

For my next shopping trip, is there a name for the firewall/router
feature that will pass the external IP address to one internal PC? Or,
are there any router brand and model numbers you would recommend for
use with my Cox cable service?

TIA,

Roger Haase